SPR-Pages

pagelogo
back
How to optimize an experiment for a lowe
back
This forum is intended for questions about kinetics, Surface Plasmon Resonance and the instruments related to these techniques.

How to optimize an experiment for a lower affinity analyte

• Miles Dominic
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 7 months ago #1 by Miles Dominic
Hi all,
I am new to SPR and have recently started using a BiaCore T200 and a neutravidin chip coated with monoclonals.
I assessed glycan binding to the lectin, SNA (Kd in the nanomolar range), which is pretty high for lectin interaction. The response units of the coated monoclonals I used in multiple experiments ranged from 60 to about 120. At these RU (ligand) values, I obtained nice looking SNA-binding data. Next however, I want to assess lectin interactions that are in the micromolar range. How should I modify my RU (ligand) to still obtain usable data for lectin interactions that have a 1000 times lower Kd? Any pointers or suggestions? Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Arnoud
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 7 months ago #2 by Arnoud
Hi,

You can use the same monoclonal surface density like the other lectin. However you need to use a higher concentration of analyte to get a comparable response like the strong binding lectin.
You can use the kinetic titration to get a quick indication of which analyte concentration you need ( www.sprpages.nl/experiments/strategy ).

kind regards
Arnoud

• Miles Dominic
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 7 months ago #3 by Miles Dominic
Thanks a lot for your response Arnoud! Can one assume that the effects of the affinity and concentration on the RU are inversely correlated? e.g. an analyte with a thousand times lower affinity for the ligand, requires a thousand times higher concentration of analyte to generate the same RU?

• Arnoud
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #4 by Arnoud
Yes,
Rememder the definition of the KD: the analyte concentration necessary to saturate 50% of the ligand.
So with a KD of 1 nM you need 1 nM and with a KD of 1 uM you need 1 uM.

Arnoud
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Arnoud.

• Miles Dominic
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 7 months ago #5 by Miles Dominic
Thanks so much for the concise input!

Moderators: ArnoudArnoud