SPR-Pages

pagelogo
back
How much variability is present in SPR q
back
This forum is intended for questions about kinetics, Surface Plasmon Resonance and the instruments related to these techniques.

How much variability is present in SPR quantities?

• raulu95
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 8 months ago #1 by raulu95
I am doing simple preliminary experiments on the T200 to validate peptide binding to a receptor. I consistently obtain a KD that is ~4x weaker than the reported literature value (250 vs. 1000 nm). When evaluating my data, what should I look out for in determining if this is a significant difference?

This peptide was even custom ordered and has high purity so it is surprising there would be such a large difference. Are there any factors that I can look to vary? E.g. add more intermediate concentrations, flow rate, association/dissociation time, etc. I will say the curves show full association/dissociation at a flow rate of 30 uL/min

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Arnoud
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 8 months ago #2 by Arnoud
Kinetics between two components is dependent on the environment in where the kinetics is measured. In the case of SPR it ispredominately the buffer composition and temperature. When mass-transport and rebinding can be ruled out, heterogeneity either from the ligand (immobilization) or analyte is minimal and full association/dissociation curves are available I would say look at the buffers. Literature values are notorious incomplete in reporting ka and kd and the exact measurement conditions (buffer components, pH and temperature).
However, when the experimental conditions are the same a good agreement is possible as is shown in the benchmark publications below.

Bravman, T., V. Bronner, K. Lavie, et al. Exploring "one-shot" kinetics and small molecule analysis using the ProteOn XPR36 array biosensor. Analytical Biochemistry 358: 281-288; (2006).
Rich, R.L. et al. A global benchmark study using affinity-based biosensors Analytical Biochemistry 361; 194-216; (2008)

Kind regards
Arnoud

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ArnoudArnoud