SPR-Pages

pagelogo
back
Old Biacore systems for academic trainin
back
This forum is intended for questions about kinetics, Surface Plasmon Resonance and the instruments related to these techniques.

Old Biacore systems for academic training?

• surplasres
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 1 month ago #1 by surplasres
Old Biacore systems for academic training? was created by surplasres
I'm looking to purchase a Biacore system on a modest budget that I can use to train students on. It looks like there are refurbished 2000, 3000, and C systems that we can afford. I believe these systems are not supported by Cytiva anymore (unsure about C) but cannot afford the more recent systems.

Is it possible to get by with one of the legacy systems for basic kinetic experiments? Are we able to source replacement parts for these systems if need be from other sources, or is it simply too much trouble without support from Cytiva engineers/scientists?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Arnoud
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 1 month ago #2 by Arnoud
Replied by Arnoud on topic Old Biacore systems for academic training?
Hi,
Obtaining an instrument is possible I think .
Sensor chips you can buy at Xantec.
Maintenace you can do your self (after some training)
Remains spare parts. Main part that you may have to replace is the IFC. And as far as I know they are only made by Cytiva and not anymore for the older systems you want. So when it is broken you have a big paper weight.. Generally the IFC is replaced once or twice a year and is rather expensive.

My option would be to find a different (SPR) instrument capable of kinetics. When the teaching of kinetics is your goal many more cheaper (and less expensive in maintenance) instruments are available.

Check out
www.sprpages.nl/instruments
www.biapages.nl/

Kind regards
Arnoud

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ArnoudArnoud