SPR-Pages

pagelogo
back
expected kon and koff for antibody - SPR
back
This forum is intended for questions about kinetics, Surface Plasmon Resonance and the instruments related to these techniques.

expected kon and koff for antibody

• Lnname
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #1 by Lnname
expected kon and koff for antibody was created by Lnname
Hi all

I've been building software that incorperates more complex models for antiboody binding for use with SPR experiments and I'd like to see what range of values people would expect for antibody kon and koff parameters- so these can be used for the innitial range of parameter estimates and I can check the outputs I already have.

In my literature review I've so far found it much easier to find sources showing the distribution of affinity rather than kon and koff parameters.
(I've included a bar graph of mouse monoclonal affinities from abcam )
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Lnname.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Arnoud
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #2 by Arnoud
Replied by Arnoud on topic expected kon and koff for antibody
Hi,

In general, the antibodies where we are looking for have a low equilibrium dissociation constant (KD). As you noticed, often only this value is stated and compared. However, the association (ka) and dissociation rate (kd) can differ greatly but resulting in the same KD.

If we take the high affinity antibodies, most of them have a low dissociation rate (e.g. < 10-4 s-1). Applications such as an ELISA or pull down assay benefit from a low dissociation rate enabling stringent washing. The association rate can be relatively low because incubation times can be prolonged.

So for initial values I would choose
ka: 104 M-1 s-1
kd: 10-5 s-1

Kind regards
Arnoud

PS: www.researchgate.net/figure/304536910_fi...-grouped-by-antibody
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Arnoud.

• Lnname
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 10 months ago #3 by Lnname
Replied by Lnname on topic expected kon and koff for antibody
Thanks thats hugely helpful!

• Lnname
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #4 by Lnname
Replied by Lnname on topic expected kon and koff for antibody
In the past people have told me that lower analyte concentrations lead to lower kon estimates, and higher analyte concentrations lead to higher estimates.

I haven't been able to find any support in the literature for this, is this something other people have seen? Is there any documentation for it?
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Lnname.

• Arnoud
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 10 months ago #5 by Arnoud
Replied by Arnoud on topic expected kon and koff for antibody
The association rate constant (ka) and dissociation rate constant (kd) are constant! for a certain interaction pair. The association rate/speed is dependent on the analyte concentration.

Thus the concentration of the components does not determine the intrinsic kinetics but does the speed of the kinetics.

Arnoud

Moderators: ArnoudArnoud