SPR-Pages

pagelogo
back
Determination of KD from inhibition assa
back
This forum is intended for questions about kinetics, Surface Plasmon Resonance and the instruments related to these techniques.

Determination of KD from inhibition assay steady state data

• Food Chemist
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago #1 by Food Chemist
Some definitions for the following considerations:
L=ligand
A=analyte (the ligand's binding partner. In a direct assay format, this is the compound for which KD should be determined; in the inhibition assay this is the recognition element binding to L as well as to C via the same binding site)
C=competitor (i.e. the compound for which KD should be determined in the inhibition assay; C competes with L for A)

For direct binding assays the situation is obviously pretty simple. For 50% ligand saturation (i.e. 50% Rmax) [L] equals [LA] and [A] equals [A]0 (since the solution of A is constantly replaced). Plugging in [L]=[LA] into the law of mass action directly results in KD=[A]0(50% Rmax). Thus the injected concentration of A leading to 50% saturation equals KD.

For an inhibition assay the Biacore concentration analysis handbook states that the concentration of C leading to 50% inhibition ([C]50) is given by:

[C]50 = KD + 1/2*[A]0

with KD the equilibrium dissociation constant for the interaction between A and C. Solving for KD yields:

KD = [C]50 - 1/2*[A]0

So far so good, but how can I derive this equation? And why is KD for the interaction between L and A cancelled out?

Thanks in advance for telling me your ideas!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Arnoud